[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sun Jan 29 17:05:49 MST 2006

On Sunday, January 29, 2006, Jim Peavler wrote:

   Thank  you for the quotes. I like to read the Buddha
no matter if I have read him before.

> “And  what,  Malunkyputta, have I elucidated? Misery,
> Malunkyputta, have I elucidated; the origin of misery
> have  I  elucidated;  the  cessation of misery have I
> elucidated;  and the path leading to the cessation of
> misery have I elucidated.

   It's  odd that you have quoted this passage. I think
that  the Buddha is talking here about the cessation of
dukkha (instead of reducing it). It's also curious that
the  Buddha  has  said  that birth, aging, and death is
misery   (=   dukkha).   It's   also  interesting  that
Malunkyaputta's  questions  in  MN  63 don't talk about
rebirth.  In addition to that, you have not answered my
question, but you don't need to do it, of course.

   Best wishes,

   Beni