[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 30 06:41:43 MST 2006

Benito Carral schreef:

>>>It's  obvious  that  you  have  not  understood what
>>>rebirth-consciousnesses are or what anatmavada is.
>>>

>>Excellent argument, Benito, you made my day!
>>

>   Come   on,   Erik.   Numberless  teachers  over  the
>centuries  (including  the  Buddha)  have not found any
>problem  with  rebirth  and  anatmavada. I myself can't
>find  any problem at all. So if you think that they are
>not    consistent,   it's   obvious   that   you   have
>misunderstood  something. If you are interested, we can
>discuss why you think they are inconsistent.

This is the fallacy of anonymous authority. I'm afraid that we cannot
settel the matter by an appeal to authority or democracy. The more
because in general teachers and guru's are allegic to thinking and
discussion. There has been some discussion in Buddhist circles as well
(I'm sorry I cannot produce references at the moment), because the
rebirth-consciousness looks very much like the aatman of non-buddhist
schools. It's clear (to me anyway) that the only reason for assuming a
rebirth-consciousness is to save the theory of rebirth and this is a
very weak basis for existence.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms