[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 30 13:42:25 MST 2006

Mike Austin schreef:

> In message <43DE1797.7070902 at xs4all.nl>, Erik Hoogcarspel
> <jehms at xs4all.nl> writes
>
>> There has been some discussion in Buddhist circles as well (I'm sorry
>> I cannot produce references at the moment), because the
>> rebirth-consciousness looks very much like the aatman of non-buddhist
>> schools. It's clear (to me anyway) that the only reason for assuming
>> a rebirth-consciousness is to save the theory of rebirth and this is
>> a very weak basis for existence.
>

> If it looks like dependent origination, smells like dependent
> origination and tastes like dependent origination, then it is a
> permanent entity?

First of all, Robert, I think your right: I mixed up the Upanishadic
aatman with the Buddhist concept of anaatmavaada. The
rebirth-consiousness however does have an essence of its own and is very
similar to the Upanishadic aatman or a pudgala. How about dependent
origination? Well I think the 12 nidaana's are just pseudo causal,
because it's a one way street, a spiral at the best, which is nothing
but a curved line. Ignorance causes consciousness etc. and not the other
way around. The general theory of dependent origination is logical, not
ontological: the existence of one thing implies the other, a day doesn't
cause a night, but if we're talking about a day there must also be a
night. They vanish if we stop making a difference. So if we want to stop
rebirth we should stop making a diference between this life and former
lifes or next ones. We're on the level of absolute truth here. However
if we want to prevent rebirth taking place, like we want to prevent ghee
forming itself oout of milk, we have to think causally, because we're
looking at processes in space and time. We cannot prevent our former
lifes in a causal sense, but we can rise above it if we obtain nirvaa.na.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms