[Buddha-l] rebirth

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Jan 31 06:15:48 MST 2006

In message <43DDB593.3050804 at nerim.net>, Joy Vriens
<joy.vriens at nerim.net> writes
>Mike Austin wrote:
>
>> Hmm. Then one wonders what constitutes a teaching of the Buddha, for
>>the  Buddha used concepts that tend to the truth.  Nowhere could his
>>words be  taken as 'the truth' as they stand. So is rebirth any
>>different from the  other 'teachings' in this respect?
>
>If at the time of the Buddha a wanderer would meet a bikkhu and ask him
>about the Buddha's teaching, I can't imagine  the bikkhu would have
>mentioned that the Buddha taught rebirth, gods, probably not even
>samsara-karma-moksha... Whatever such bikkhu would say was the Buddha's
>teaching, must have been the Buddha's teaching. And whatever was the
>Buddha's teaching in that sense, was probably far less spectacular and
>far more recognisable to us than "rebirth" etc.

You make an arbitrary distinction here between 'teaching' and 'concepts'
that are part of that teaching.  I was suggesting that the teaching uses
concepts to convey the 'truth',  but is not actually the 'truth.'  Thus,
the concept of 'rebirth' would be no less  than the concept of 'dukkha',
for example. Of course, one could be more hidden that another - i.e. one
may require more closer investigation. This is what I mean by supporting
reflection on rebirth whilst not believing it. Both rejection and belief
can be equally effective in closing down the enquiring mind.

>If a hypothetical "the truth" is not recognised as such by others, then
>what good is it, or what is true about it?

A map is not the place where one wishes to go - nor can it be recognised
as the place where one wishes to go - but it is nevertheless useful.

>I think the Buddha used concepts, methods that would help others to
>achieve detachment, but I am not sure he would have called it truth.

I am suggesting that his teachings might be defined as 'that which tends
towards the truth'.  In this way, I suggest that all he taught (i.e. all
that we can find that was written down) is of the same status. If one is
to make distinctions between the status of different teachings,  I think
that is the beginning of a distillation of 'truth' from them. It is this
that I was attempting to highlight, which is quite contrary to attaching
any 'truth' directly to the concepts used in his teachings.  When I used
the word 'truth', it was not a categorisation from my side. It was quite
the opposite.

--
Metta
Mike Austin