[Buddha-l] Re: Core teachings

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jan 31 10:22:16 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 00:03 +0100, Benito Carral wrote:

>       If  we  suspend  our  own  predilections  for the
>       moment and instead go directly to our sources, we
>       come  upon  the indisputable fact that the Buddha
>       himself  taught  rebirth and taught it as a basic
>       tenet  of his teaching.

I have never heard of anyone who disputes this claim. This is exactly
the position I have taken dozens of times. So on that we all (Bhikkhu
Bodhi, you and I) agree completely.

>       Viewed in their totality,
>       the  Buddha's  discourses  show  us that far from
>       being  a mere concession to the outlook prevalent
>       in  his  time or an Asiatic cultural contrivance,
>       the    doctrine   of   rebirth   has   tremendous
>       implications  for  the  entire  course  of Dhamma
>       practice,  affecting  both the aim with which the
>       practice  is  taken  up  and  the motivation with
>       which  it  is  followed  through  to  completion.
>       (Bhikkhu Bodhi, "Dhamma Without Rebirth?")

Once again, we are in complete agreement. And I know of no one who who
disagree with that claim.

So what exactly is your point?

--
Richard