[Buddha-l] Re: rebirth

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 31 13:38:43 MST 2006

Responding to Benito Carral on my earlier posting: What earthly
differenced does it make to  my argument (which is related, as Erik
points out, to Gombrich's) whether (as I thoughtlessly put it)
'everyone' in ancient India believed in rebirth or not? Enough did
one way or other to make it a common cultural/secular background It
is important to, say, Western civilisation or culture that, say,
evolution happened, or that there was a 'Big Bang', yet far from
everyone accepts either idea. But, accept it or not, everyone in
'our' society has to come to terms with such stuff.

--
F. K. L. Chit Hlaing
Professor