[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 16:44:50 MST 2006

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> The tradional explanation of the nidanas has been as a diachronical causal
> proces extending over three lifes.
Traditional though it is, I think that explanation is quite mistaken -- and
I note that you yourself seem to find it unsatisfactory, judging from your
following comment.

> There is an alternative synchronical interpretation which I prefer.
I am, of course, aware of this.  But for me the whole 12 nidana system seems
to be awkward for the reasons I mentioned.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge