[Buddha-l] Great Renunciation

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Sep 2 07:39:31 MDT 2006

In message <15209424.1157191872557.JavaMail.rbaksa at mac.com>,
rbaksa at mac.com writes

>First, when Buddha left the worldly life, both his father Shuddodan and
>maternal aunt Gautami were around 70 years old. So, it's indeed absurd
>to say that Buddha had not seen old people before. It is equally absurd
>to believe that by the age of 29, Buddha had not seen a dead or sick
>person.

One looks, but one does not always see. I don't think Prince Gautama was
any different from us at this stage.

>Then, what were the immediate reasons which led Buddha to renunciation?
>As the book details, it was all about War and Peace.

>I have never run across this explanation of the Great Renunciation
>before and would appreciate any information on it from the members of
>this list.

I don't know if this was Great Renunciation or disillusionment. My guess
is the latter, and that 'Great Renunciation' followed a prolonged period
of meditation - after his unsuccessful practice of extreme asceticism.

--
Metta
Mike Austin