[Buddha-l] Natural lucidity for all, a Buddhist dream

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Sep 2 09:42:56 MDT 2006

In message <DreamMail__170624_98427320845 at smtp.nerim.net>, Joy Vriens
<joy.vriens at nerim.net> writes

>I used to deplore the growing importance of virtuality reality in
>various fields, of image and image management, branding, of spin in the
>media etc., because I believed it would remove people even further from the nitty grityy facts of "basic reality", earthy and ordinary reality
>or what do you want to call it... But this article gives me new hope.
>Perhaps the growing and constant confrontation with virtual reality in
>various fields will change people's brains and ultimately lead to
>spontaneous awakening.

The achievement of good concentration  does not necessarily lead one to
awakening.  It is the application of such concentration that determines
whether the obstacles to awakening are removed.  Otherwise, one remains
in a concentrated state until the conditions that support it subside.

If the video gamer can master the game as a means to awakening, perhaps
it could be a useful tool. However, I think your first assessment had a
more probable outcome - where the video gamer becomes slave to the game
and is removed from "basic reality."

--
Metta
Mike Austin