[Buddha-l] Natural lucidity for all, a Buddhist dream

Fools Crow foolscrow at marmotpress.org
Sat Sep 2 15:11:17 MDT 2006

On Sep 2, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> On Saturday 02 September 2006 11:33, Fools Crow wrote:
>
>> One's idea of the nature of reality (which is
>> always mistaken -- mind and memory imagery is always "virtual").

>> Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by "mistaken" in
>> this context?

Well, just for starters, lets both admit that whatever I am about to
say is probably mistaken. I imagine that what one sees as one's
"reality" is usually based on such stuff as experience, education,
memories, etc. I don't know about you, but my whole life I have
occasionally caught myself editing experience, even at the moment of
experiencing it, for the big movie at the end of the world when the
lord hisself will reveal all our peccadilloes, large and small. (I
had the misfortune of experiencing a conservative version of Baptist
Evangelicalism as a child.) So I suppose that I shouldn't take my
experience or memory too terribly seriously since I know for sure
that it was edited by an amateur on the input side. And on the output
side it is even worse, since I can be proven to have misremembered
several or several dozen items nearly every day (by a person or
persons that I assume remember them correctly). So, I reckon maybe
what I mean by "mistaken" in this context is that my view of
"reality" may or may not have much in common with the reality of
others or with any presumed "facts" if there are such things as
"facts".  Having had some dealings with law enforcement I know, for
example, that eye-witness evidence is just about the worst damned
evidence a person can find. And our own lives are nothing much more
than our own eye-witness accounts added to and modified by whatever
"hearsay" evidence we have been subjected to by our parents, our
teachers, our reading, and (to return a moment to the original
subject of this thread) our dreams.

So maybe the whole thing is just one great big terrible mistake? Whom
should we go to for an apology?

Fools Crow
foolscrow at marmotpress.org