[Buddha-l] Natural lucidity for Socrates

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Sep 4 14:47:31 MDT 2006

French scholars have proposed that there is evidence, and that Indian
Buddhist monks traveled as far as some Greek provinces. We know that the
Indians met Greeks after Alexander the Great's conquests (if not before)
into what is now Iran and north India.  Certainly the humoral medical
systems of both the ancient Greeks and ancient Indians are very similar (as
is the ancient Chinese vernacular system in some of its characteristics, as
well). There is one particular French scholar who wrote about similarities
between ancient Greek thought and ancient Indian thought, especially medical
systems, and discussed possible communications between the sub-continent and
the Mediterranean areas, but right now I can't remember his name. Maybe
someone on the list can.
Joanna