[Buddha-l] Natural lucidity for Socrates

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 5 01:57:26 MDT 2006

jkirk schreef:

> French scholars have proposed that there is evidence, and that Indian
> Buddhist monks traveled as far as some Greek provinces. We know that
> the Indians met Greeks after Alexander the Great's conquests (if not
> before) into what is now Iran and north India.  Certainly the humoral
> medical systems of both the ancient Greeks and ancient Indians are
> very similar (as is the ancient Chinese vernacular system in some of
> its characteristics, as well). There is one particular French scholar
> who wrote about similarities between ancient Greek thought and ancient
> Indian thought, especially medical systems, and discussed possible
> communications between the sub-continent and the Mediterranean areas,
> but right now I can't remember his name. Maybe someone on the list can.
> Joanna

I remember some more. A certain Megasthenes was ambassador for the king of Syria. He lived in Pataliputra (Patna) for some time. This man wrote a book about his discoveries. Indian logic and astrology is of Greek origin. Another French scolar, Georges Dumézil wrote about the common heritage of Aryans and Greeks, like the gods, the three layers of society etc. Alexander took with him a yogi who lived in Athens under the name of Kalanos (translation of sadhu). Pyrrhon based his scepticism presumably on dicussions with Indian sadhus, perhaps Jains.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950