[Buddha-l] japanese zen terms: honbun and shusho

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 8 13:24:42 MDT 2006

I thought the same thing. So I looked through my copy of the Awakening
of Faith (Hakeda's) and could find no reference to either "honbun" or
"shusho". Hakeda simply uses the terms "suchness" "absolute" and
"tathtata" - in fact I couldn't find any Japanese (or Sino-Japanese,
which is what I assume both of these words are) terms that seemed
relevant. Neither term appears in the glossary or the index. Damian
Keown's "Dictionary of Buddhism" also doesn't list either term.
- Curt