[Buddha-l] Views of Information & Knowledge (Culture & Religion)

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 9 20:09:02 MDT 2006

Hi Erik

Yes, I think I understand what you're saying here now.

I would not by any stretch of the imagination say that Indian yogis
discovered the truths of quantum mechanics. They produced nothing remotely
similar to, say, Schrodinger's Wave Equation. What seems interesting to me
is that some interpretations of quantum mechanics propose very specific
limitations on the degree to which we can meaningfully phenomena as
ultimately existing. In many cases, those limitations are extremely similar
to similar limitations expressed by, say, Chandrakirti. Now, this makes me
go "hmmmm".

I recently read an article in New Scientist magazine in which Stephen
Hawking made an argument that the history of the universe only has meaning
from any particular perspective; from the point of view of his cosmological
theory, it does not exist "in itself". The argument he made was very similar
to something Kensur Yeshe Thupden had said years earlier. In the context of
analyzing Prasangika-Madhyamaka tenets, Kesur-la asserted that prior events,
including the Big Bang, are "retroactively imputed by consciousness". I
could go more into the details of both arguments, but I take them both to be
saying something very similar, and that seems like a very important point.

Regarding eternal principles et cetera, my own perspective is that the
general laws of the universe are emergent from the total activity of
everything interacting, and that universal "constants" fall out of that
dynamic interrelationship. Physicists now believe, for example, that the
speed of light C is actually changing as the universe evolves.

best regards,
Barnaby

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing
- Emo Philips