[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for Socrates

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 10 01:17:35 MDT 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 20:10, Dan Lusthaus wrote:
> Re: Re: [Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for SocratesI
>
> If we want to keep the parlor game going, we might accuse these Jains of
> having poached the idea that we only need as much ground as we are standing
> on from Zhuangzi, who says the same thing. Or maybe Zhuangzi got it from
> them (or Alexander)?
>
> Dan Lusthaus

I want to express my joy and confusion at agreeing with both Dan and the
Coyote, something I thought might never happen.   But the exchange has
reminded me of reading a work by  Idres Shah on Sufism quite some time ago,
wherein the author spend a long time arguing for the independent origination
of ideas in different cultural milieus, so as to establish the bona fides of
Sufism.  Immediately afterwords, however, he proceeds to show how all the
central ideas of Western mysticism derive from the Sufi tradition. Ever since
then, I have been rather suspicious of arguments for historical influence.

On another note,  I have seen it suggested that Ammonius Saccus, the teacher
of Plotinus, may have indeed been from the east, since Saccus may have been a
Greek rendering Shakya (this from memory, might be wrong).  The more
tradition explanation of Ammonius surname is that it refers to his
profession, since he is alleged to have been a longshoreman in Alexandria.
Given my preference for working-class philosophers (as opposed to royalty who
never witnessed suffering until they were adult), I would go with the Sackkus
interpretation.

--
     J a m e s   ( A n d y )   S t r o b l e

:The right way to seize a philosopher. Crates, is by the ears: persuade me
then and drag me off by them; but if you use violence, my body will be with
you, but my mind with Stilpo."  Zeno of Citium, Diogenes Laertius, VII:24