[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for Socrates

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 10 01:16:26 MDT 2006

Dan,

>This is a severely understudied issue. The better evidence is later,
>during the early Islamic spread, where we have detailed reports,
>with casualty counts, of Jains and Buddhists being chased out of
>Central Asia. They clearly had a substantial presence in certain
>areas.

Can you offer some sources for this ? Offhand it seems improbable.

>  One of the climaxes involved the Muslim armies chasing them back to
>Vallabhi, where Jain and Buddhist monasteries were destroyed and the
>occupants massacred in the thousands, after which the Muslims
>retreated. Vallabhi, which had been a second Nalanda for Buddhists
>up to that point (home to Gunamati, Sthiramati, etc.) never
>recovered.

Vallabhi certainly ceased to be important after the Muslim conquest
of Sind, but I have not seen an account of this. Source ?

>Earlier Jain history is sketchier, often even in India,
>unfortunately, but there are indications in the early Manichaean
>literature of central asian contact with Jains and Buddhists.

With Buddhists, yes. With Jains ?

>Earlier than that, the "Western" accounts seem unable to
>differentiate "Brahmans from Buddhists, Jains, Ajivikas, etc.

THat may simply mean that Buddhists were simply not numerous enough
before Asoka. For all we know, Ajiivakas may have been brahmins.

>Since Jainism is often entirely off the radar of archeaologists and
>philologists -- with Hinduism and Buddhism faring only slightly
>beter -- the possibility of unrecognized remains looms large.

Somewhat.

>Check out Jason BeDuhn's _The Manichaean Body: In Discipline and
>Ritual_ (2002), especially the dietary rituals, which he covers in
>some detail, and decide for yourself whether it rings any Jaina
>bells. There were certainly no Ajivikas around at that time who
>would have served as a source. BeDuhn doesn't mention Jainism at
>all, but this is one of the most important recent works on the
>Manichaeans.

I will try to look at this.

>Perhaps we might agree that the account in Hippolytus (largely, but
>not entirely drawn from the Alexander templates) is not an accurate
>portrayal in all details,

Well, no. We don't know that. It could be an accurate representation
of some early third century group.

>nor, given its dependence on the Alexander materials, one drawn
>exclusively from contemporary or even near contemporary ethnographic
>evidence. It is a literary template, synthetic in nature (and since
>most of the scholars working on this material have not reached a
>consensus on its sources, I won't venture a definitive explanation
>either). Since it mixes sources and details, there very well might
>be some details culled from someone's description of Ajivikas,
>Taxila charlatans, odd Brahmans doing things not exactly elsewhere
>attested, and who knows what else. That it also is surreptitiously
>addressing more familiar Mediterranean cults is also more than
>likely (it wouldn't be included on a work designed to refute
>heresies unless contemporaries believed that such practitioners
>posed a clear and present danger, even if at some remove). Given its
>syncretic nature, it may very well be that no actual group that ever
>existed corresponds exactly to the description given, and that it is
>a misleading composite of authentic and distorted information.

That is possible, but it is only a hypothesis.

>  So trying to match this particular description (or the many similar
>ones in this genre) to an actual group in India, Central Asia, and
>or the Mediterranean region, is a kind of interesting parlor game,
>fun to play, but lacking in definitive data.

Agreed.

Lance