[Buddha-l] Views of Information & Knowledge (Culture & Religion)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 11 12:51:57 MDT 2006

Barnaby Thieme schreef:

> Hello Erik,
>
> This problem of meaning that you describe has been considered for many
> centuries as the hermeneutic circle. My feeling is that you go too far
> here in the degree to which you say that meaning is bound to
> discourse. I prefer Gadamer's resolution: meaningful utterance is a
> "fusion of horizons", and a compromise between the parameters of
> intelligibility and the verbum interius. Speech says something beyond
> itself, or it says nothing at all.

Hi Barnaby,
I'll try not to digress to much here. Gadamer meant in this case the proces of hermeneutics itself, but in his 'Truth and method' he does not seperate a discourse from it's pragmatics. On the contrary, he mentions the jurisprudence as a hermeneutical tradition which he thinks is a good example to show the relation between text and action. I think Buddhist hermeneutics is not different because many texts are incomprehensible without taking int o account the practise of meditation, the struggle for power between different schools and the life of a practitioner (beit a monk or a yogi or a lay person). My argument is based on Wittgenstein who showed that the meaning of a word is the use and the use is based on the life form. As far as I can understand the life form of a Buddhist abbot in India during the first half of the first millenium AD is very different from that of a scientist in the 20th century.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950