[Buddha-l] Re: Views of Information & Knowledge

ralf.steckel at online.ms ralf.steckel at online.ms
Thu Sep 14 05:42:54 MDT 2006

-begin snip
> >All this is quite different than Nagarjuna's refutation of views via the
> >reductio ad absurdum.
>
> I'm not saying that Nagarjuna was performing particle physics, but the
> similarities here are rather obvious.
>
> Barnaby
-end snip

Hello Barnaby,

there is a German book that deals about the similarities between Nagarjunas philosophy and quantum physics:

"Buddhismus und Quantenphysik. Die Wirklichkeitsbegriffe Nagarjunas und der Quantenphysik" by Christian T. Kohl / "Buddhism and Quantum Physics. The concepts of reality of Nagarjuna and of Quantum Physics".

This book is an interesting reading.

The author is a political scientist, born 1945 with a Kagyü buddhist background.

He sees the main similarity between Nagarjunas concept of reality and the concept of reality of quantum physics in the interconnection between objects as well as of quantum particles. As for Nagarjuna there is no unconditional self of objects, because all object arise only in connection and dependency to other objects, so a quantum particle in the quantum world is connected to other quantum particles and cannot be sepaerated from the quantum system.

Typical examples for Nagarjuna are the one who is walking and the walked way.

Typical examples for quantum physics are the interference experiments, the electromagnetic, the strong and the weak interaction and the entanglement of quantum objects in the same quantum state.

Just my comment to the discussion...

Best Regards,

Ralf