[Buddha-l] The Body in Buddhist Practice

Stephen Hopkins stephen.hopkins at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 12:53:45 MDT 2006

Denizens -

Discussions on this list rarely seem to focus on the physical aspects of
Buddhist practice and their relationship to mind, but as many will know,
such concerns are often at the heart of practice.  That's especially so in
the case of such things as sitting (or walking) meditation, but, in my
experience, attention to posture and, of course, breathing is common.  I've
wondered if this odd - to me - absence of discussion is a more a reflection
of the lists academic focus than it is on the perceived importance of the
body in Buddhism, and if others also think this worthy of note or
discussion, central to practice and understanding, or just, well, just (no
disparagement intended) yoga (ie, to dig this hole a little deeper, a
system of Hindu philosophy).

Regards,

Steve Hopkins