[Buddha-l] The Body in Buddhist Practice

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Fri Sep 15 13:21:46 MDT 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> . My first impression is that the body plays primarely a symbolic
> part in Buddhism. Especially in Zenbuddhism, where the position of
> the body is a symbol of the quality of the meditation. In Theravada
> the body is simply considered a nuisance because it hinders
> meditation, ...

My own training (admittedly Zen) suggests that the body is much more
than symbolic -- it practically IS meditation. There is no question
that the posture is often mentioned in symbolic ways, but I think it
is also true that there is hardly any other way to sit that is so
conducive to easy breathing and staying in one relaxed position for a
long period of time. And the body is a full participant in any
meditation I have ever been taught and it is what meditates. If Zazen
is the practice, then the body is the instrument and the mind the
observer.  Or so it seems to me.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org