[Buddha-l] The Body in Buddhist Practice

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 16 06:24:01 MDT 2006

Jim Peavler schreef:

> On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>
>> . My first impression is that the body plays primarely a symbolic
>> part in Buddhism. Especially in Zenbuddhism, where the position of
>> the body is a symbol of the quality of the meditation. In Theravada
>> the body is simply considered a nuisance because it hinders
>> meditation, ...
>

> My own training (admittedly Zen) suggests that the body is much more
> than symbolic -- it practically IS meditation. There is no question
> that the posture is often mentioned in symbolic ways, but I think it
> is also true that there is hardly any other way to sit that is so
> conducive to easy breathing and staying in one relaxed position for a
> long period of time. And the body is a full participant in any
> meditation I have ever been taught and it is what meditates. If Zazen
> is the practice, then the body is the instrument and the mind the
> observer.  Or so it seems to me.

You show very clearly how ambiguous the function and meaning of the body
is in Zen. First you write that the body IS meditation (which sounds
great, but raises a lot of ontological questions) and subsequently you
write that the body is merely the INSTRUMENT of meditation.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950