[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Sep 20 13:18:14 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 08:29, curt wrote:
>

>> The single most important defining characteristic of pacifism is it's
>> rejection of "defensive" violence - including especially defensive wars.
>>

> I have spent most of my adult life hanging around people who define themselves
> as pacifists, and I have never encountered a position such as the one you
> state.

This is one of Richard's trademark "I have never heard of such a thing"
statements. In case anyone takes his little joke seriously, here is some
relevant data:

 From the Fellowship of Reconciliation's Statement of Purpose:
"Refuse to participate in any war or to sanction military preparations;
work to abolish war and promote good will among races, nations and
classes...."

 From the War Resisters League website:
"We reject the use of violence for national defense...."

 From Daniel Berrigan: (taken from the Fellowship of Reconciliation website)
"It may or may not be possible to turn the US around through nonviolent
revolution. But one thing favors such an attempt: the total inability of
violence to change anything for the better."

The Church of the Brethren simply states "All war is sin."

 From the 1953 General Conference of the Mennonite Church:
"We believe that war is altogether contrary to the teaching and spirit
of Christ and the Gospel; that therefore war is sin."

Some modern-day pacifists (and/or "nonviolence advocates") have gotten
too smart for themselves and don't realize how annoying their
prevarications have become. The above examples represent forthright and
plainspoken pacifism. Short of such sweeping and principled rejections
of violence qua violence the words "pacifism" and "non-violence" become
meaningless, seeing as how pretty much everyone agrees that war in
particular and violence in general are bad things. Unless one wants to
proclaim "I'm a pacifist - just like everyone else."

- Curt