[Buddha-l] Buddhism and the "status quo"

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:57:41 MDT 2006

Today's NY Times:

Iran's Leader Challenges U.N. on Hezbollah
By WARREN HOGE
Published: September 21, 2006
UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 21 - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, refused to say today whether he would to comply with a Security Council demand to withhold arms from Hezbollah, the Tehran-backed guerrilla group that fought a 34-day war with Israel in southern Lebanon.

(the rest at http://tinyurl.com/f582p )

And

Iran's Leader Relishes 2nd Chance to Make Waves
...Never raising his voice and thanking each questioner with a tone that oozed polite hostility, he spent 40 minutes questioning the evidence that the Holocaust ever happened - "I think we should allow more impartial studies to be done on this," he said after hearing an account of an 81-year-old member, the insurance mogul Maurice R. Greenberg, who saw the Dachau concentration camp as Germany fell - and he refused to even consider Washington's proposal for Russia to provide Iran with nuclear reactor fuel, and take it back once it is used. (Without the capacity to enrich fuel on its own soil Iran would be unable to make fuel suitable for a nuclear weapon.)

http://tinyurl.com/g7vp8

Keep cheering this priceless upaya!

And for those fearing that the fascists have overrun this country, one more piece from the NYT:

Only 25% in Poll Approve of the Congress
By ADAM NAGOURNEY and JANET ELDER
Published: September 21, 2006
With barely seven weeks until the midterm elections, Americans have an overwhelmingly negative view of the Republican-controlled Congress, with substantial majorities saying that they disapprove of the job it is doing and that its members do not deserve re-election, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The disdain for Congress is as intense as it has been since 1994, when Republicans captured 52 seats to end 40 years of Democratic control of the House and retook the Senate as well. It underlines the challenge the Republican Party faces in trying to hold on to power in the face of a surge in anti-incumbent sentiment....

http://tinyurl.com/zaazv

That's a sign we live in a democracy, as fragile as it sometimes seems, and not under a fascist regime.

Dan