[Buddha-l] Buddhism and the "status quo"

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Sep 21 14:05:14 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

> Let's not forget the systematic persecution of Nestorian Christians. Being the
> perverse son-of-an-atheist that I am, I love to tell my classes about the
> Buddhist persecution of Christians. Invariably, some student comes up after
> class and says "I think you made a mistake in today's lecture, sir. You said
> the Buddhists persecuted Christians. But surely it was the Christians who
> persecuted the Buddhists. Then I tell them about Amnesty International's
> reports on how Buddhists in Myanmar have been persecuting Muslims. When
> students learn that, they need to be taken to the hospital.

Please excuse my ignorance - but could you provide approximate dates or
any other specifics. I assume you are talking about China - but my
knowledge of Chinese history is extremely sparse. I knew that the
Taoists persecuted Buddhists, (Nestorian) Christians and Zoroastrians
for a few years around 840 during the Tang Dynasty - but I didn't know
about Buddhists going after the Nestorians. Or maybe I'm remembering it
wrong and it was the Buddhists not the Taoists who were persecuting
during that time?

- Curt