[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Marxism: where the twain could meet

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Sep 21 14:36:54 MDT 2006

"Marxism" is not really and truly an independent, standalone
"philosophy" in and of itself. It primarily exists as both a critique of
capitalism and as a roadmap for how to get rid of capitalism (where it
falls shortest is in what exactly it is that will replace Capitalism -
something that has been treated more thoroughly by anarchist
"theoreticians").

If "Marxism" is taken as being essentially a rejection of Capitalism
with some, but not all, of the details filled in about why capitalism is
bad, how it can be gotten rid of and what it should be replaced with,
then perhaps one could move from concluding that "Capitalism and
Buddhism are incompatible" to "Marxism and Buddhism are compatible." The
one does not automatically follow from the other - but they are clearly
connected.

But I think that the more realistic and pressing issue is what, if
anything, "Buddhism" has to say about "Capitalism" - since we now live
in an increasingly "globalized" Capitalist world. A good starting point
for a Buddhist view of "Capitalism" would be to ask what "Capitalism qua
Capitalism" is. Capitalism's proponents are always very quick to change
the subject when it comes to discussing the essence of their little
world-dominating system. Be especially wary of the following words and
phrases: "democracy", "liberalism", "freedom", "western values"
"american values". In fact, one need only look at the very word
"Capitalism" itself - it is a system in which money ("capital") is the
only thing considered to be of value.

If it can be shown that Capitalism and Buddhism are a "good fit", then
any question of Marxism's compatibility with Buddhism would appear to be
DOA. On the other hand, if it can be shown that Capitalism and Buddhism
are inimical to one another then, even if one were to insist that
Marxism is not compatible with Buddhism, one would still have to allow
that "something like Marxism", ie, something that critiques the problems
of Capitalism, shows how to get rid of it and what to replace it with,
must be "compatible" with Buddhism.

- Curt