[Buddha-l] Buddhism and the "status quo"

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 21 23:59:44 MDT 2006

> > And so the aging hippie Buddhist wannabes still root for antisemitic
> > facists. The more things change, the more they stay the same. (sigh)
>
> I'm searching feverishly through that sentence for a grain of
verisimilitude.

Note the plural in wannabes.

There were, of course, never any hippies. That was a media term which the
people being so described never embraced (as the rest of us aging folks will
remember). I spent part of that period on a Marxist horse ranch (not in
Alberta). The locals considered us cowboy hippies. We were Venceremos
veterans and wannabes (the aging among us might know what that means).

As for versimilitude, the rooting is apparent from the messages of the last
few days, and I stand by the characterization of Ahmadinejad as an
antisemitic fascist. The discerning, especially discerning Buddhists, look
elsewhere for their heroes.

Dan