[Buddha-l] Bill to lump Buddhists & Jains with Hindus

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Sep 22 10:31:18 MDT 2006

While this move has occurred only in Gujarat, ruled by a BJP government,
the exclusiveness of religious identity is now underlined by making
conversion to another religion, as defined (see below), against the law.
In the past, some Hindutva types were excercised about dalits
converting allegedly from Hinduism to Buddhism --mostly Ambedkar's
Buddhist movement.  Now, since Buddhism is considered as a sect
of Hinduism they might leave the dalits alone.

How ironic this is, considering that in the time of the Buddha
when he argued that brahminhood is not based on birth but on action and
development of moral character and insight, there were no such
social categories as Hinduism or Buddhism. Ironic too is that, like
most of the major Republican legislation in the USA, this bill is mis-
leadingly titled: in this case the Freedom of Religion Act! (Reminds
me of Bush's Clean Air Act, that allows for ever increasingly dirty air.)
Joanna

Article:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1801236,0008.htm

Buddhists, Jains clubbed with Hindus
by Rathin Das

Gandhinagar, September 20, 2006

The ruling BJP in Gujarat on Tuesday piloted through the assembly an
amendment that clubs Jainism and Buddhism with Hinduism.
Passed by voice vote amid vociferous protests by Congress legislators, the
amendment also triggered a debate on its validity outside the House.

Introduced in the assembly as an amendment to the anti-conversion
law - officially called the Gujarat Freedom of Religion Act 2003 -
the bill states that Jainism and Buddhism shall be construed as
denominations of Hindu religion.

There are around 5.25 lakh Jains - about 1 per cent of the
population - and around 18,000 Buddhists in the state.

In Delhi, members of the two communities and of minority panels said
Jainism and Buddhism should not be treated as branches of Hinduism.
They termed the move arbitrary. Hamid Ansari, chairman of the
National Commission for Minorities, said: "I think legislators
cannot, and should not, decide the religious identity of a community
this way. This decision has to be taken by the community itself in a
democratic manner."

Udit Raj, a Buddhist and chairman of the All-India Confederation of
SC/ST Organisations, said, "It is an arbitrary move. The entire
Buddhist community opposes it. We can never be termed Hindus. There
will be protests from Ahmedabad to Delhi and we will also convey our
displeasure to the prime minister."

Chakresh Jain, president of the Delhi Jain Samaj, said the community
would plan protests across the nation. "The move is absolutely
against the wishes of the Jain community. We are not Hindus at all."

The amendment bill also defines `conversion' - which the anti-
conversion law prohibits without prior permission from district
authorities. It says if a person belonging to a particular sect
adopts another sect of the same religion, it will not be considered
conversion.

Changes within a religion -- like a Shia becoming a Sunni or a
Catholic becoming a Protestant -- are allowed. Such changes will
also be allowed to Jains, Buddhists and Hindus.

But renouncing one religion to adopt another will be considered