[Buddha-l] the body in Buddhist Practice

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 22 21:48:35 MDT 2006

Vincent wrote:
> yes, he was also with Tien-tai masters. Dogen is a enormous figure in
> Buddhism.
> The point was about the message of Stuart Lacks when he observed in
> Advaita the body position is not so important. When it seems he was
> using some reference to zazen, then I wrote about other views existing
> in Chan. Now best clarified with your message.

You should read  my message again. I was not saying that in Advaita Vedanta
the body position during seated meditation is not important. I said I sat
with a fellow from that tradition who could go into "samadhi" rather easily
and stay there for long periods of time in spite having quite bad posture. I
also mentioned an American (in the  Zen tradition) who sat with ease despite
his size and bad posture. I visited a  Kirpal Singh center years ago where
some  people meditated leaning  against a wall and in other positions that
would be described as bad posture by Zen people. I assume the K.S. people
did fine in their meditation as no big deal was made about people's posture.
I don't want to bore you with more examples. My point was that the strong
emphasis on posture in seated meditation, especially in Soto Zen may be
cultural.

Often problems arise when certain elements are pointed out as being bad form
or incorrect. For instance, coming into the meditation hall late can be made
into a big problem by underlining that it is disturbing to others and so on.
Yet if no point is made of it, it would be no more bothersome than a honking
horn or a chirping bird. Setting up strict rules may seem necessary and
serve a purpose, but like many things in life, they also may have a down
side.

Dogen seemed to have a particular dislike for Ta-hui. I don't have the
source now, but I believe he called him a fraud or fake. Interesting for a
prominent Zen person to hold this opinion of another very prominent Zen
person. Afterall, Ta-hui was pretty much the leading Zen figure of his day.
Miriam Levering has written much on Ta-hui.

Stuart