[Buddha-l] Buddhism and the "status quo"

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Sep 24 16:26:09 MDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:58:45 -0600
  Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

>it would be a good idea to wipe Israel off the map, or at
>least (as Ahmadinejad has said in other contexts) set up
>Israel in Germany rather than in Palestine, since it is
>the Germans and not the Palestinians who owe the Jews an
>apology and perhaps some kind of restoration.

I am guessing that Germany may not be ready to give a
chunk of their turf to the Jews. So, by the powers
invested in me by Karl Rove, I hereby offer the state of
Utah to the Jew people of the world as their homeland. It
has many of the features of Israel. It is dry and dusty
and sparsely populated. It has a big lake full of water
too salty to support life. It has a beautiful national
park called Zion National Park. And it is already
populated by the Mormons, who claim to be the lost tribe
of Israel. And Utah has a lot of features that Israel does
not have in its present location, such as the absence of
angry Arab Christians and Muslims and the presence of
immediate neighboring states filled with born-again
Christians who love the Torah and believe in eyes for eyes
and teeth for teeth. I admit I have a vested interest in
this deal. I love a good bagel, and would be delighted to
live in a state that sort of bordered on a Jewish Utah.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico