[Buddha-l] anti-antithesis

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Sep 25 18:43:27 MDT 2006

Looking up naraka in the Monier Wms online we get:

naraka(Nir. ; %{nara4ka} TA1r.) m. or n. hell , place of torment Mn. MBh.
&c. ; (distinguished from %{pAtAla} q.v. ; personified as a son of Anr2ita
and Nirr2iti or Nirkr2iti Ma1rkP. ; there are many different hells ,
generally 21 Mn. iv , 88-90 Ya1jn5. Pur. &c.) ; m. N. of a demon (son of
Vishn2u and Bhu1mi or the Earth , and therefore called Bhauma , ............

Now it says it's distinguished from pAtAla, which I always thought was hell
but maybe it only means the nether regions?  As the demon son son of Vishnu
and Bhumi, Bhauma, one I guess could yell, Bhauma! instead of Hell! when
hitting one's thumb.

pAtAla  n. (rarely m. ; ifc. f. %{A} ; perhaps fr. 2. %{pAta} as %{antarAla}
fr. %{antar} ; cf. Un2. i , 116) one of the 7 regions under the earth and
the abode of the Naagas or serpents and demons (cf. RTL. 102 n. 1 &c. ;
sometimes used as a general N. for the lower regions or hells ; in MBh. also
N. of a town in the serpent-world) , Arun2Up. MBh. Ka1v. &c. ; an excavation
, hole in the earth MBh. ; ... N. of the attendant of the 14th Arhat of
present Ava-sarpin2i1.

This one is even more interesting------the serpent abode; lower reigons or
hells (pl); a hole in the ground;
and suddenly what seems Buddhistic: "N. of the attendant of the 14th Arhat
of present Ava-sarpin2i1."
Nothing turn up for Ava-SarpiNii but one suspects it's another name for a
Naga-land.
Does anyone know who this Arhat was (presumbly Buddhist)?

Closest  Paatyaala gets in the Pali dictionary is:
Patapeti
Patapeti [Caus. II. of pateti] to cause to fall, to cause an abortus Vin
ii.108; DA i.134.

Patala [cp. Epic Sk. patala an underground cave] pro- clivity, cliff, abyss
S i.32, 127, 197........

An underground cave would correspond to a hell region, as also a place to
where one falls.
But uttering Paataala or naraka seems rather insipid as a curseword.
I could go for Bhauma!
Joanna