[Buddha-l] Swearing

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 26 04:14:20 MDT 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 23:20, Mike Austin wrote:
> In message <200609252239.36785.stroble at hawaii.edu>, James A. Stroble
> <stroble at hawaii.edu> writes
>
> >When I am teaching the tail end of the Euthyphro, where Socrates suggests
> > that holiness is kind of commerce between gods and  men, I like to recall
> > the scene in Conan the Barbarian, were the Gropinator calls upon his god
> > Krom for assistance, but then adds, " if you won't help me, then screw
> > you!" or words to that effect. Is that what we are after here?
>
> If one holds that there is a superior being that can intercede for us, I
> think that "screw you" actually implies "screw me".  The first victim of
> anger is the one who holds it.  Perhaps swearing is just this - bringing
> wrath upon oneself. This may be an example of the second arrow of dukkha
> that one brings to a wound.

Ah, we get back to our discussion of Buddhist atheism!  If there is no such
superior being, then swearing is just an affirmation of self-reliance.  It is
hard to hold wrath for a non-existent being, and so the swearing is harmless?
Worse than a god that is not helpful, however, is one that needs our help.
Any god that need us to defend him (or her) is not really worth it in the
first place.

--
     J a m e s   ( A n d y )   S t r o b l e

:The right way to seize a philosopher. Crates, is by the ears: persuade me
then and drag me off by them; but if you use violence, my body will be with
you, but my mind with Stilpo."  Zeno of Citium, Diogenes Laertius, VII:24