[Buddha-l] Swearing

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 27 15:34:16 MDT 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 13:35, d f tweney wrote:

> What to yell at the motorists who nearly run me over while I'm riding my
> bicycle though, that's another question.

There's no point in yelling anything at motorists from a bicycle, Dylan,
because 90% of the drivers on the road can't hear you, because they are
either talking on their cellphone or fiddling with the CD-player in their
car, or both. That's why they almost run over you. (That, plus the fact that
if you are on a bicycle you are probably a Democrat, and any driver of an SUV
is a Republican who feels duty bound to run you over.)

That reminds me, I've been thinking a lot about how to solve the threat of
terrorism in this country. I think that if the Department of Homeland
Security really cared about the safety of United States of Americans, they
would train helicopter pilots to drop precision bombs on all drivers who are
talking on mobile telephones.

I used to have a lot of problems riding my bicycle to work, until I mounted a
rocket-launcher on the handlebars and started wearing a black ski mask and
carrying a bulky backpack. Now I find I pretty much have the whole road to
myself.

Even though I'm sure none of you wants to know my opinion of who qualifies as
a genuine Buddhist, I'll give it you you all anyway. My opinion is that no
one can really be considered a true Buddhist unless they ride a bicycle. I
have no scriptural evidence to back this claim up, but I had to said
something about Buddhism to honor Jim Peavler's highly welcomed clarion call
to get us all back on topic and to stop being so goddamned offensive.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy