[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 29 09:40:06 MDT 2006

I think it's also safe to say that originally Guan Yin did not exist -
at least in one version of the story. According to that version,
Celestial Bodhisattvas were not part of "original Buddhism" - whatever
the heck that was. Certainly there are traditions that claim the
opposite - such as the Hua Yen tradition which says that the Hua Yen
Sutra was the very first thing "taught" by the Buddha after his
enlightenment. There are lots of those big-time Bodhisattva beings in
the Hua Yen Sutra.
- Curt