[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

Jon Weaver jonsweaver at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 09:45:17 MDT 2006

Twenty years ago, I read a book (exact title forgotten) about Chinese  river & spring  goddesses and their iconography fusing with  the incoming bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara to become Guanyin. For  example, Guanyin is depicted pouring out the waters of mercy from a  vessel, but Avalokiteshvara is not shown with a vessel as I recall. She  is also shown holding a pearl of immortality, which is an attribute of  water dragons. Guanyin's clothes flow like the garments of cloud  maidens and water spirits.

  I also wonder whether Guanyin is definitively female or rather  ambiguous. I remember a student of mine in Taiwan embarrassingly trying  to explain that Guanyin was not female or male, no one was really sure.  Of course, Western languages don't allow for gender-ambiguous pronouns.

  With metta, Jon Weaver