[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 29 22:39:42 MDT 2006

The Stillwater Zen Center in Richmond, VA has a very nice Chinese scroll
with a very strange looking Kuan Yin - she is rather potbellied and has
a very thin mustache and teeny-tiny goatee like beard. There is also a
small child looking up at her with this wonderfully puzzled look on it's
little face. It is done so matter-of-factly that you can easily not
notice it. At first glance, and even at second - it looks like the
embodiment of motherly-feminine compassion - complete with small child.
Even once you've had a closer look and puzzled at the goatee - the
painting still looks simply like a very nice, well-done but rather
generic Kuan Yin. I'm pretty sure it was purchased on ebay.
- Curt