[Buddha-l] Buddhism and psychoactive substances

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Sep 30 10:35:03 MDT 2006

>......... Does anyone have any knowledge of a Buddhist lineage that
>advocates the use of psychoactive substances? Or can anyone refer me to a
>study of this question? I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that some
>Ngakpas somewhere had something that they liked to smoke.
>
> If this topic has come up previously, my apologies. Alas, the archives are
> not searchable.
>
> regards,
> Barnaby Thieme
Try this route:
http://www.keithdowman.net/books/dm.htm
... Drukpa Kunley is one of Tibet's foremost saints and yogis and the patron
saint of Bhutan. [He was a ngakpa.] ....'In Thimphu I ran into a phenomena
common to both India and Bhutan: reference for the wandering ascetic who
combines preaching religion with sex and liquor..............

Mushrooms nor bhang etc not mentioned, but if liquor is there, bhang
couldn't be far behind.
Joanna