[Buddha-l] Is Guanyin Catholic?

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 19:18:59 MDT 2006

Alex wrote:

acn>  there's a close relationship between historical
acn> oppression of women by men on the one hand and general
acn> idealization of a religious female figure on the other.
acn> [...]It is much easier to idealize
acn> it in theory and select certain stories that demonstrate the
acn> exemplary qualities revered by that bunch, which becomes the
acn> scripture of the cult that follows.

yes, quite probable. Although at the same time, there are many
episodes of men, women and children, who experienced visions of
these goddesses in different religions. Gender and psychoanalytic
explanations are very useful, although I wonder if maybe they are not
enough by themselves. The attributes attached to these goddesses are
quite numerous so they are talking about a more complex thing.
Well, I think so,

At least to me, a main interest here it's a better understanding of
this devotion. I mean; when we see Buddha images, everybody can
understand what these image represent for any Buddhist, be western or
eastern. We have a non-polluted mind in front Shakyamuni, Manjushri
and many others images.
However, with those feminine Avalokiteshvara transformations it is
not so clear. Many western minds with a catholic background can be
conditioned in front Guanyin and similar images, because the
similarity with Virgin Mary it's enormous. And maybe it's better at
all; I don't know.
Just I think that when one can understand better the meanings of these
goddesses across history, then also one can understand better the
meaning of these Avalokiteshvara transformations and to be clarified
oneself. By making this work, Guanyin can acquire her own personality
in the own mind, and her image can start to work in more clear
Buddhist terms. Well, maybe the Buddhists meanings of this image are
so similar to Virgin Mary that there is not need of such work.
I don't know.

Many Chinese in the catholic Philippines identified Guanyin in front
Virgin Mary images. Also, prosecuted Christians in the Tokugawa period
disguised their cult taking advantage of Kannon bodhisattva.
Today these japanese statues are known as "Kannon Mary":
http://www.eltestigofiel.org/imagenes/oratoriov/kannon.jpg

(they have a child as happen with Virgin Mary.)

However, attributes of these goddesses are so numerous in their
different appearances that it can deserve some clarification.
And if finally these meanings are the same, then my city tomorrow will
be replete of potential Avalokiteshvara-Guanyin statues.
And it will not be a trivial thing, because in such case the question
is knowing if Buddhist followers would be allowed to put some flowers
to Virgin Mary images inside those Catholic temples devote to Mary.
And if both meanings are the same, then how Buddhists can maintain
that advice of not making offerings to outer gods in this case.

acn>     Because I worry about what my mother thinks of me, it
acn> makes it easier and somehow necessary for me to worship a female
acn> deity. And women can find some measure of fulfillment in buying
acn> into the mythology created in the scriptures.

yes, it is important in the historical side to understand the role of
women in religion.

acn> Well it's late and I'm rambling again. Gotta send my mom some e-mail.

me too

best regards,