[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Aug 2 20:29:57 MDT 2007

Joanna asked:

> Hi Stephen
> Please send the correct spelling!!
>
> Desperately orthographical Joanna

>>Tut, tut Joanna !  You should know it's spelt "disparately" ?  (Note that
"spelt" is correct for English English).  But the Japanese you wanted is
"arigatô gozaimasu".

JK--Well--I almost got it right!!! (I do not have diacritics on my PC)
 Is "tut tut" English English? What does that mean :) ?

>>It is also surprising to note that several forms of English now spoken in
these parts are completely lacking in the words "please" and "thank-you",
although a vestigial equivalent of "please" is often heard in the form of
"gimme".  Has the same phenomena arisen over there ?

JK--ah yes--hear one still hears a lot of "Thank you", not so many "Please,"
but on radio programs when a guest is told "thank you," the common reply
these days that really grates, is "My pleasure,"
Or even worse: "Always a pleasure."          [Aaaargh]
What ever happened to "You're welcome?"

Speaking of "spelt," it's also a kind of grain that is getting faddish among
organic eaters this side of the kala pani. Do they eat it in England?
Joanna

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

Checked by AVG Free Edition.