[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 3 12:29:57 MDT 2007

I think it is worth emphasizing that in addition to modern
"psychological" theories, there is a much older, more deeply embedded
conception of self in the western psyche. It is the "self" of the
Delphic maxim "gnothi seauton", which was adopted by Socrates and became
central to all of Greek philosophy as we know it. This self has several
important characteristics:

(1) First and foremost it is uniquely capable of self-awareness. Other
mental faculties/activities are not.
(2) It is the agent of both reason and volition (which seems odd to me,
because in my experience the two almost never go together!)
(3) It is the essence of who we are.
(3a) As a corrolary to the above "what we are" (our essence) is NOT
anything else - such as the physical body.
(4) It is Divine in it's origin - and it is the link between humans and
the Divine.
(5) For Platonists, the self is non-corporeal and capable of DIRECT self
awareness, whereas for Stoics and Epicureans the self is material and
probably not truly capable of absolutely direct self-awareness. This
seems to parallel a similar disagreement with Tsongkhapa and Mipham.

All of these characteristics (except for the last) are spelled out by
Epictetus in the opening paragraphs of his Discourses. They are also
central to Socrates' famous conversation with Alcibiades in the dialog
of that name.

Often it is the ideas that we don't know about rattling around in our
heads that have the biggest and most pervasive influences - precisely
because we are unaware of those influences. Which, of course, is the
entire freaking point of "gnothi seauton"!

- Curt