[Buddha-l] Theories of the self

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Aug 5 10:28:44 MDT 2007

Katherine Masis wrote:
> Socrates may have adopted the maxim, but he also
> changed it.  The Delphic maxim "gnothi seauton" (know
> thyself) was more or less telling oracle-seekers to be
> sure of exactly what they wanted to ask; i.e., to
> examine themselves carefully so they wouldn’t ask too
> many questions of the oracle.  For Socrates, "know
> thyself" didn’t imply a relationship between humans
> and gods, but a relationship with himself.  In this
> sense, he was breaking with the past.  And yes, we
> could say that with Socrates the notion of "self"
> gained a perceived essence and solidity it perhaps
> hadn’t had before, or at least a perceived essence and
> solidity that hadn’t been articulated before.

I am wondering what kind of basis you have for saying this? Socrates,
for example, encourages Meno [76c] to receive initiation in the
Eleusinian Mysteries (not to be confused, of course, with Apollo's cult)
in order to better undertand his (Socrates') ideas concerning the soul
In the Alcibiades Socrates states clearly "harken, therefore, to the
advice I give you in agreement with the Delphic inscription, Know
Thyself." [124a-b] Socrates also informs Alcibiades that "a God" has
instructed him (Socrates) to speak to Alcibiades about this matter.

I would go so far as to say that there is no evidence that
Soctates/Plato "changed" the meaning of "gnothi seauton", or that their
teachings concerning the soul and self-knowledge represented a "break
with the past".

- Curt