[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Aug 17 05:59:35 MDT 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 13:10, curt wrote:

> And as everyone who has read the first chapter of Rick Fields book "How
> the Swans Came to the Lake" knows, the earliest pioneers of Buddhism in
> the West were all flaky occultists, just like Gerald Gardner.

Rick Fields oversimplifies the picture considerably. There were not only swans
coming to the lack, but ducks and geese. While a lot of early American
enthusiasts of Buddhism were spiritualists seeking messages from the Other
Side, others were drawn to the "Nobody here but us scientists" mantra, and
yet others were captivated by the sheer beauty of Asian (and especially
Japanese) art forms. It could be argued, I guess, that all these people were
flaky in one way or another (since, after all, every who has hair has
dandruff), but there were at least as many hostile to occultism as there were
enamored by it.

By the way, Curt, have you read the interview with Bob Sharf in the Summer
issue of Tricycle yet? He says a lot of thinks that I suspect you would agree
with. I agree with almost everything he says, and the one thing I disagree
with is a relatively trivial matter. If time permits, I'll say more about all
this. (Time may refuse. It's the beginning of a new semester here, and I no
longer have the luxury of using my time as I would like. "The woods are
lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep" and all that.)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy