[Buddha-l] Query on Non-Local Consciousness

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 24 08:58:52 MDT 2007

Ioan Culianu (aka Ioan Couliano) wrote a book titled "Out of this World:
Otherworldly Journeys from Gilgamesh to Albert Einstein". Basically it
is a cross-cultural guidebook to various ideas about the separability of
"soul" and "body". He has quite a bit of interesting material from Asia
- including specific references to Buddhist texts. He has another book
which is more meaty and less popular - but on the same basic subject:
"Psychanodia: A Survey of the Evidence  Concerning the Ascension of the
Soul and Its Relevance".

In my opinion, Culianu is a fascinating guide to primary sources that
might otherwise be overlooked - but his interpretations of those
sources, as well as his conclusions, are, well, imaginative.

- Curt