[Buddha-l] Re: Inducing Out-of-Body Experience

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 24 11:44:01 MDT 2007

 >> I have not read the full article, however, I do not see such blatant
circularity in the thinking. They have managed to create these
experiences using a particular methodology. The inferential leap, as you
point out in your second paragraph, is that this way of creating such an
experience has some relationship to other ways of creating such
experiences. <<

What the researchers are observing are NOT classic OBE's by any stretch
of the imagination.  They are simply observing "proprioceptive
illusions" of a very obvious, trivial and predictable sort. For example:
it is easy to prove that people have "optical illusions" - but such
illusions do not explain religious visions - UNLESS one has already
accepted the prior assumption that religions visions are nothing but
optical illusions.

The circular logic is simple - one must accept what the researchers are
trying to prove (that OBE's are a "mistake" that the brain makes) in
order for their "research" to make any sense at all. Who funds this crap
- and why is the New York Times writing about it? The sad thing is that
the people who slobber approvingly over this kind of pseudo-scientific
blather are the same people who moan and groan about "scientific
illiteracy".

- Curt