[Buddha-l] Query on Non-Local Consciousness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Aug 24 13:02:00 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 12:57 -0400, Vera, Pedro L. wrote:

> Just a small point concerning the time scale involved. Neurons start
> dying within minutes of profound hypoxia and plenty of experimental
> and clinical evidence shows permanent damage if the blood flow (or
> oxygen) is not restarted within a few minutes. Certainly, not hours or
> days. Therefore, I think you will not have to wait long to find out
> what the experience of  complete oblivion or total loss of
> consciousness feels like.

That comes as a considerable relief. I had somehow imagined a slowly
dwindling series of bad dreams, regrets, second guesses and confusion.
My preference would be instantaneous non-existence, the sort that one
experiences when a nuclear bomb falls on one.

> If you are right (and I think you are), you'll be dead and not be able
> to enjoy the unconsciousness/oblivion/nirvana or whatever, and worst
> of all you won't know that you were right (will it matter to you at
> that point? or does it even make sense to refer to you as "you" since
> you ain't no more??).

I certainly hope I am right. Not being the sort of fellow who gets much
pleasure from being right anyway, not knowing that I was right will be a
small price to pay for the bliss of not being there to know how blissful
oblivion is.

> If you are wrong, you spend the rest of eternity regretting your error
> (if the Abrahamic religions are right)

I think it is only Christianity and Islam who have the ridiculous idea
that one is punished for an eternity for a mere lifetime's worth of sin.
Although I am by no means an expert in Judaism, I have the impression
that it managed to avoid forming beliefs about the afterlife.

>  or at least a few cycles of samsara trying to adopt right views (if
> the buddhists got it right).

Just between you and me, I think the Buddhists got this one wrong. Dead
wrong.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy