[Buddha-l] Query on Non-Local Consciousness

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 24 15:18:13 MDT 2007

Cool! Everything I've ever heard about him (Culianu) - and what I've
read by him - indicates that he was a fascinating character, and
apparently a very good teacher. Are you familiar with the book about his
murder - "Eros, Magic and the Murder of Professor Culianu"? There is a
fascinating, and rather disturbing, article by the books author here:
http://linguafranca.mirror.theinfo.org/9209/culianu.html

It starts out :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ON THE LAST MORNING OF HIS LIFE, a charismatic University of Chicago
Divinity School professor named Ioan Culianu taught a class on
gnosticism, the study of secret mystic sects. One of his graduate
students, Alexander Arguelles, was presenting a paper to the faculty for
the first time that day. "I was nervous. He said, it's nothing to fear,
just a rite of passage," Arguelles recounts. "He patted me on the back
and smiled." Arguelles stops. "I'Il never forget that smile."

Two hours later Culianu was dead of a single .25-caliber bullet wound to
the back of the head. His execution-style murder in a campus bathroom
stunned the school, terrified students, and stumped the Chicago police
and the FBI. Now, after sixteen months, the crime looks more and more
like what Culianu's friends suspected it was all along: the first
political assassination of a professor on American soil.

One of the things I really like about Culianu's writing is he really
zeros in on fundamental questions - and then he zooms back out and tries
to place those fundamental questions in the broadest possible
perspective. It can be positively vertigo inducing! I think that every
scholar of any religion could benefit from the roller coaster ride that
he provides in "Out of this World".

- Curt