[Buddha-l] Re: Aama do.sa I

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Sun Aug 26 13:21:27 MDT 2007

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> This could quickly get a bit too technical for this list, and I'm not sure
> how many besides us are interested, so I will try to frame this in general
> terms.

Dear Dan,

I shouldn't let that worry you.  After all, at one time, Buddha-L had
pretensions to be a quasi-scholarly list.  But thank you for the detailed CS
explanation of the term.  I personally find this all more interesting that
much of recent Buddha-L fare -- raw or cooked.

But, for my part, it's not so much a question of what "āma" means in an
āyurvedic context -- that is not in dispute -- but how Xuanzang decided to
translate the term. One can suppose that he was faced with a term which he
did not fully understand in its āyurvedic sense or else he was unable to
find an appropriate parallel term from Chinese medicine. Whichever was the
case, he decided to play safe and translate it as 生 in its well-attested
sense of "raw, uncooked, unprocessed" which is the literal meaning of āma
outside of āyurveda. As you know, āyurvedic terminology for digestive and
metabolic functions in general is derived from words whose primary meanings
involve the processing and cooking of food -- probably because digestion was
seen as an extension of the cooking process. Note that these terms are also
used for the processing and smelting of metalic ores.
The Tibetan translation here is a bit less opaque: "ma-zhu-ba bsags-pa
'byin-par-mi-'byed-pa" -- not ejecting accumulated undigested [matter].

This short dialogue tends to illustrate the perils of translating from
Chinese without referring to the Tibetan and Sanskrit if available.  But,
needless to say, I think an eventual translation of that portion of the YBS
should reflect the āyurvedic sense -- even if Xuanzang has only translated
things literally.

Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge