[Buddha-l] Re: Aama do.sa I

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Thu Aug 30 02:01:05 MDT 2007

Dan,

>As for demons, planets, etc., these are discussed, and in a rational (if not
>modern or postmodern) fashion. These are treated more as matters of attitude
>than physical influences, though it doesn't rule them out entirely. Later
>Ayurveda brings astrology especially back into a more prominent position.

I still can't wrap my mind around the model of a physician, with a pramana approach not unlike contemporary medics (all things in proportion of course) working in the same court for the same people as the Shaivite priest (who interfered on almost any field including their protector's health, longevity etc.) whilst exposing charlatanism... Were the roles of the physician and of the priest that well defined? I don't know for the physician, but the priest's domain could be almost unlimited as I have understood it right. Were there clashes between them or did they work together well?

I understand you want to focus on the methodological pramana approach of the CS and its influence on e.g. Buddhism, which I find interesting, because, without going into specifics, many references about the Buddha being a physician and other images from the medical world can be found in Buddhism.

>The question of differentiating well-intentioned charlatans from pure
>con-people is perhaps a legal matter.

Yes, I also see some parallels to the in my eyes artifical "differentiation" between a religion and a sect. In France the "official" religions have laws voted to fight against sects. But it is very tough to find criteria that will fit their exact puyrpose and that can't be found in the religions themselves or even elsewhere. "Religion" is everywhere.
There is much more freedom in that regard (sects) in Great-Britain and the States.

>Delving into some of this on a buddhism list is perhaps relevant since CS
>(and not just Samkhya) is an important source and fountainhead for Buddhist
>medieval discourse, especially the hetuvidya tradition.

I have no doubt about its relevancy.

Joy