[Buddha-l] Re: Bachelor bashing [was some damn thing about buddha-l digest]

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Dec 11 20:00:57 MST 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 19:36, Joanna wrote:

> I got the "call for papers" thing OK. Have no interest any more for writing
> papers.

I once read that spiritual poverty has been achieved when one's desire to get
rid of possessions is at least as strong as one's desire used to be to
acquire them. I think there is probably an academic analog to this. What do
we call the condition in which one's desire not to write papers is as great
as one's desire used to be to write them? Spiritual maturity?

> Some people just get very uptight about Batchellor's idea of Buddhism
> without beliefs and perhaps they see it as a sign of retrenching toward an
> earlier non-Buddhist stage. I personally don't see it that way at all.

Neither does Batchelor. He continues to be very active leading Buddhist
retreats and promoting Buddhist practices. His book on the life of the Buddha
is one of the most emotionally engaged and moving I have ever heard. (I
haven't seen it, but I have listened to excerpts. It's mighty powerful
stuff.) The last I checked with Stephen, he was pretty unconcerned with the
issue of whether he meets other people's criteria of Buddhist authenticity.
Yet another sign of spiritual maturity?

OK, so that shows it's not a biological weapon. But were any nuclear warheads
concealed in it?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy