[Buddha-l] Re: Watery dharma

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 09:34:58 MST 2007

Curt, many thanks for re-posting that link to Perez Zagorin’s book on the historical development of religious tolerance.  You saved me the trouble of digging through the Buddha-L archives!  Sometimes we apply current values to past movements when all we’re doing is putting on our favorite pair of reading glasses.  (I think Richard has a piece on the misreading of modern pluralism in(to) early Buddhism.)  If tolerance is a difficult concept to put into practice today (as Richard’s visit to that conference in Spain attests), then all the more reason to appreciate and contextualize the struggles involved in the development of religious tolerance.  I look forward to enjoying this book.  Thanks again.

  Katherine