[Buddha-l] 16th-century Cambodian prayer book question

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 09:50:31 MST 2007

My wife and I visited the Old Jail Art Center in Albany, Texas
yesterday. I'd read about it in a Texas-off-the-beaten trail book. Nice
art collection, etc. One might not expect to see Klee, Renoir, Picasso,
and the like in a town of less than 2,000; I certainly didn't.

What really drew me was the mention of a 16th-century Cambodian prayer
book. It's impressive. The covers had fairly large red jewels (rubies
or garnets - wife's not sure), the paper gold-edged.

It was open, with two pages on display. Might the script be Pali? It
looked like what very (very) little Sanskrit I know.

I couldn't find a mention of the book in the museum's web site, but
interested parties could contact them directly.
http://www.theoldjailartcenter.org/

Best wishes,

Michael

P.S. The art center really is in an old jail, still with bars on the
windows. heavy metal doors, and some chain links big enough to
challenge Hercules. Gotta love the good old days. <G>